Re: IML: Ignition Help

Mark, your absolutely right, I carry a spare ECM, and the ballast resistor, at all times.The distributor pick-up, never seams to fail, just ECM's, and ballast resistors.I've also noticed, the" Cheap" ECM's, work, and last just as long as the Chrysler ones.($20). I've also seen the potting agent, melt out of the Chrysler units.This can expose the electronic components, and lead to failure.Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: "Mark Jefferson" <imperialist67@xxxxxxxxx>
When putting my '67 LeBaron "back on the road" in '96 I switched over to electronic ignition. It DOES make for more reliable starting, less frequent tune-ups, etc., and it has been generally a real smart upgrade.

However.......... be forewarned that when the unit goes, it just goes/shuts off, and the car isn't going ANYWHERE until you put a new one in. When you have a car with these, have an extra in the car, and teach yourself to install a new one just in case. It's pretty easy to do, a matter of a couple plugs and you're back in business.

Or just do as I do, and have a new one installed every 2-3 years, and it minimizes the risk.

MoparPerformance is a good source for these, but there are others out there.

Mark.