Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 9:00 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: IML: Carter AFB running Question

The job of the ballast resistor is to vary the voltage that the coil gets so that it does not over heat and fail. The coil needs more power (voltage in this case) at higher RPM when it is firing more sparks per minute and less voltage at lower RPM. My understanding is the the coil will get about 6 volts through the ballast resistor at idle and more at higher RPM.

During the starting process the coil is by-passed so it sees the entire voltage from the battery. Too high a voltage at the coil could be a bad ballast resistor (as you appear to have) or a short in the by-passing circuit.

The 45K volt coil that I have uses a much lower resistance ballast resistor than stock, presumably because it requires more power to get to the higher (45K) voltage.

I do not know how old your coil is, but when I run into situations like this I like to change out all of the "wear" parts which would include the ballast resistor, coil, condensor etc.