RE: IML: resistors and voltage

I suggest, that for any "nay sayers", of the the facts, and operation of the point type ignition that I have presented, simply read your FSM, IGNITION SECTION, near the end, and under "BALLAST RESISTOR", and a little OHMS LAW.  The ballast resistor LOWERS the voltage,because of increased current flow (and heat in the resistor) at low speeds, and RAISES the voltage because of decreased current demand,(and less heat in the resistor) at higher speeds.Prove the book wrong, put your voltmeter on the coil positive, and ground, then drive at low and high speeds.Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: "Christopher Middlebrook" <delamothe@xxxxxxxxxx>
I've never seen the dwell change with RPM's on any car I have owned that uses points. If you are seeing this, you may have some real bad play in your distributor. (Or you are measuring readings from a car with electronic ignition)
The only way you have heat buildup at the ballast resistor, is due to increased contact resistance as a result of corroded contacts.
The ballast resistor's function is to limit the current that goes through the coil when it is charging up in between firings. As a result of this, the voltage should always be B+ which is the voltage of the charging system. Depending on year and model it can range anywhere from 13.8V to 14.4V.
(Unless you are measuring a modern electronic ignition module with soft start that pulses at 6-8 V before engaging the starter.)

Chris Middlebrook
1962 Custom Southampton