Re: IML: Valve job

Dan,

I had the heads on my 66 New Yorker 440 overhauled last year.  I used my
normal machine shop, a well-established shop that does the warranty work for
local Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Audo, Rover, and other dealerships.

My 440 had 97k miles on it, had never been apart, and had both a miss and a
weird irregular exhasut pulse.  It turned out that it had 2 burned exhaust
valves:

http://bos-engel.com/66newyorker/headsoff/

I paid $1000 to have the heads disassembled, hot tanked, bead blasted, all
new guides installed, springs tested, hardened exhaust seats installed, new
exhaust valves installed, new core plugs installed, and all valves
ground/lapped.

This is a lot of money to spend on a car that gets driven so rarely but I
don't have a lot of time to mess with the car and I wanted the work done
once and done right and done forever.  At least for my lifetime.  It was
worth it to me.

Some suggested that I buy Edelbrock aluminum heads, ready to bolt on for a
bit more money.  Bah!  It's always more complicated than a simple bolt on.
Edelbrock recommends using a stud and nut kit, not the stock head bolts.
Then you have the aluminum issue.  What intake gasket to use?  The valley
pan with paper gaskets on each side?  On and on.  No thanks.

I didn't/don't need the flow characteristics of the Edelbrock heads.  The
stock setup is what I wanted and that is what I have.

Pete in PA