Re: IML: Towing With ANY MoPar

Towing anything other than a small trailer with a luxury vehicle such as our Imperials would require the additions mentioned. Remember that these vehicles WERE used to tow travel trailers in their day. But then again they were not expected to tow at 70 mph that is legal on today's Interstates AND they were not 40+ years old!

My grandfather towed an Airstream with Mopars in the 50's, 60's and 70's. The cars were usually 5 years old by the time he got them. He never saw fit to add anything to the suspension, but he did install the following:

brake controller for the trailer
transmission cooler
fan with additional blade(s)
welded on receiver hitch (for a weight distributing hitch)
wiring for the trailer
heavy duty flasher for the turn signals

He also made sure that the heat riser valve was lubricated.

In today's world I would also like to see front disc brakes along with a dual master cylinder. My mechanic threw in an old set of helper springs "just because" when he had my '65 in for front end work. Once the new engine is in and she is running again I will pursue the brake modifications. I will also make sure the fuel line is in good shape. I replaced the power steering lines last year when I replaced the hoses and belts.

Thanks for the tips on fire prevention!

I currently have an electric brake controller for the trailer, but I do not like them nearly as well as the old hydraulic over electric activators of the 60's and 70's. I have one that I can use...I just don't have the fitting to tap into the brake line coming off the master cylinder. Something that I am not willing to do unless I have a dual master cylinder!

Scott Scheuermann
1965 Imperial Crown 4 door
1960 Airstream Overlander