Re: IML: Towing with any MoPar

From: sosmi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Towing With ANY MoPar

Towing, with a Luxury vehicle, can be more interesting than
one would think. The fact that the drive train is no less able
than the period pick-up is not the issue.The brakes, can be
the most important factor, electric, or surge brakes should be fitted,
and adjusted correctly for safe stopping.

Sure, but that's true for a truck, too. Generally, our cars had more powerful brakes than equivalent pickups, not less powerful.

The normal tongue weight at the hitch point, should be 10% of the
total trailer weight.This could create problems, for the soft, mushy
springs that were designed for the 4 people going to dinner, or the
opera.

Our cars weren't designed for 4 people to go to dinner in. They were designed for as many as six and all their luggage to take long highway trips at high speeds, in perfect comfort. As for the springs being mushy, you must be thinking of the shocks - my car has six or seven leaves. My car is also rated at over half a ton capacity, more than most pickups sold in '69.

 The first "CURE", is to install air shocks.This sounds good, but the
added suspension load, is now added to the shock mounting points.
These mounting points were NEVER designed as load carrying
supports, damage to the upper shock mounts may result.(been there
seen that).The right way, is to add helper springs, or overload springs.
Of course the extra trans cooler, is on the list, but the trans is another
issue. The nature of the Luxury car, is to have smooth, and undetectable
shifts, however, the tow vehicle needs fast, quick shifts to minimize
slip, and heat generation.As you can see, this means there could be some
compromises, in the tow, vs. opera vehicle.Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

All of the above is certainly true, given a heavy enough trailer. Any vehicle has a limit to what it should tow, and I certainly wouldn't suggest anybody convert their Imperial to a 5th wheel rig. However, our cars (the full-size ones, anyway) were from an era when luxury cars were expected to exceed requirements in every specification. They make excellent tow vehicles within their limits, and are at least as capable as most light-duty trucks - certainly the light-duty trucks of their era.

           -Kle.
'69 Crown 4DHT