IML: Carpet Installation

Hi Gary,

I have a two-color sample of Gary’s carpet for color.  I picked the darker gray because I am kind of messy.  My carpet is so faded it looks green.  I will send the sample to you so you can decide as to quality.  I doubt the carpet is as nice as the original, but it is OK.  I think he did a nice job on cutting the carpet; seems like the original and the sewn border is fine.

Right now, I will probably forego the padding.  I hate to remove the horsehair stuff and then glue the new padding to the floor pan.  If I don’t glue it, I’m afraid the padding will bunch up under the carpet, so I am thinking it would be better to stick with the original padding.  I checked the websites suggested by the club so far and all the padding seems too thick for me, so I will probably pass on it.  I was hoping to find a thin, newer technology type of padding that would insulate for sound and heat, but haven’t seen anything yet.  Most suggestions seem to be ¼ to ½ inch thick and I can imagine the carpet moving around on the pad.  Maybe I need to research it further, and I’ll keep you updated if I find a solution that suits better.  Maybe some more folks will chime in this evening with a better solution.

I have your address from the box in which you sent the tool.  I’ll get it off tomorrow.

I have removed most of the trim pieces inside and outside the car and have them ready to send off for plating.  I will try to get the windshield wiper bases off tonight to plate, as well.  Do you know how to remove the trim pieces on the outside of the front and rear windows?  I didn’t see any nuts that would be holding them on and I am reluctant to pry them up to see if clips are holding them, for fear of bending the time pieces.  Any suggestions?

Tom