IML: Was Drag link modifications - now just advice

IML: Was Drag link modifications - now just advice

Kenyon,

Bite the bullet and pull the pan.  Welcome to the world beyond stock
restoration, you have entered the Hot Rod Zone.  It's a world where some
things don't fit, and sometimes reinventing the wheel is a road to madness.
However when it is successful, it's a whole lot of fun.  Or you're already
insane and don't know it, so just enjoy the ride.

Looking at how low that pan sits below the K, I would be very concerned at
loosing it on a pothole.  Here in PA that pan wouldn't have a chance on the
street.  The extra oil capacity is nice, but a lower profile pan that kicks
out for the added capacity might be better in this situation.  Something
like a road race pan.  Unfortunately that would be a custom fabricated
piece.  I can provide a name for that if you really want to explore that
avenue.

Do you have a collection of stock pans?  A compromise would be to cut the
sump section off one, and just the very bottom off another.  Then weld them
together making a deep sump pan.  Add a couple baffles made from scrap steel
and lower the pickup and you are set.  This would allow you to determine how
low you want the pan to hang.

As for a magnet in the pan, the Viper drain plug has a magnet built in, and
is the same threading as the other Mopar drain plugs.  It's a clean bolt-in,
and you can brag you have Viper parts on the car.

Those mini starters are nice, but I do miss the sound of the original.

Looking at the engine shot, first I see the 5Lb sledge.  They do come in
handy.  But what really caught my eye was your air cleaner assembly.  I
believe that Edelbrock unit is a flat base.  Getting an assembly with a drop
base will get you some hood clearance.  Most drop bases are designed for
Holley carbs, but can work with the Edelbrocks as well.

K&N used to sell some different drops, they might be worth taking a look at.
Moon Racing Equipment has a very nice drop base assembly designed
specifically for the Edelbrock carbs, but it's not cheap.  I've been
eyeballing it for my Barracuda for a while now.  Moroso also makes a few
drop base air cleaner assemblies.  I think a '70-71 factory dual snorkel
(square openings) unit might fit too.

Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron
And some hot rods too.