RE: IML: headliners

Originally these cars had an insulator sheet between the headliner and the roof panel it was made from a heavy duty paper sack type of thing stuffed with cotton/wool waste type of material and appeared to be glued to the metal roof panel .Without it you will get enough water condensation to ruin your new headliner so you should replace the insulation . Here in England I can buy a sort of sacking based material that is about a half inch or less thick and after priming the metal roof panel inside with an anti rust paint (I use a red lead based compound ) I cut the material to fit , taking care to leave a clear area around the domelight fitting, I glue it in with an impact glue that will not be affected by heat . I also suggest that the area's around the very edge of the inside of your roof is treated with a non setting rust proofer as no paint seems to be on this area and rust will eventually work its way to the outside of your roof panel just above the rain gutter area.

David Munson 1955 Imperial sedan    London in the  U K

From: Timothy Hulse <t.hulse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: headliners
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:01:18 -0800 (PST)

I just opened the box with my new headliner. I will be attempting to install this weekend. I put the new carpet down last night and it is comming along. The headliner looks nice. I will let you all know if it is correct. The price was good. The company is from Los Angeles Ca, (Alexander Company Inc) 323-257-8266. Should I be putting in any type of insulation between the headliner and roof?

Tim
56 Imperial 2-door
Bakersfield Ca