RE: IML: Safety- Old cars vs New cars

A few weeks ago my dad heard one of the 'Car Talk' radio broadcasts. Their discussion was about a man who had been in an accident in an old car (probably '50s era) with lap belts. He had a heart attack while driving, swerved off the road, and hit something.

The interesting bit, though, is at the impact, his chest struck the steering wheel, and the force acted as a natural defribillator. His heart restarted! He said later that if he'd been in a new car with airbags, he would have died.

Not an everyday scenario, but an interesting story, nonetheless.

-Alex K.
Isenhour <isenhour@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I remember the old saying about those mid-50's GM cars in relation to the
amount of chrome metal in the front dashboard that if you had an accident in
one of those you would be picking chrome bits out of your teeth for weeks!
I survived a read in collision by hydroplane into the back of a Mac Tractor
Trailer in a '62 Cadillac in the interstate. Today if I was in a new car I
don't think the air bag would help!