Re: IML: Safety- Old cars vs New cars

I would be very upset if my 74 Imperial was involved in a crash, I love that car. But if my life depended on it, I would rather be in that car than any other vehicle I own. I undestand the newer vehicles absorb the impact, but they will have to absorb a lot of impact if they run into my two and a half ton Imperial. I may have seat belt marks on my body, but I think I will fare better than the person in the newer car. I don't see a Kia or Honda having a chance against my Imperial, especially if it's high speed, better call the Morgue, because you just hit a Sherman Tank. Now for the big SUV's they may inflict damage, but I think I would still be better off in my Imperial than any other vehicles I own. Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: <50scars@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Safety- Old cars vs New cars

If you want to play mass against mass, how do you think an Old Imperial
would fare against a new 4 wheel drive 1 ton Suburban?  We hear the
complainers whining about what an unfair advantage a large SUV has over an
econobox all the time.

From: "DR CHALLENGER" <drchallenger@xxxxxxxxxxx>

problem is that old cars dont absorbe the energy of an impact and the
passengers  get the impact.

  Old cars don't absorb *as much* energy in a crash.
  If you hit (or get hit by) a modern car in an old car, the modern car
will
do much of the crushing for you. In a collision, the heavier vehicle
transfers most of the energy to the lighter vehicle (which, in this
case,  crushes). Hitting a tree is undoubtedly safer in a new car.
Hitting a car,  is often safer (wearing belts, of course) in an old car.
  Old car above is generally meant to mean _big_ old car. Big cars put
more
distance between you and the impact, so that helps a lot. A '63 Falcon
is a  lot less safe than a '63 Imperial in a crash, and the Falcon
probably  performs very poorly safety-wise compared to a modern car. A
collision with  something bigger and heavier than you is also probably
much safer in a new  car.

   If I was in a crash between an (old) Imperial and a Honda Civic,
though -
I'd want to be in the Imperial.
       -Kle.
       '69 Crown 4DHT

This message was sent to you by the Imperial Mailing List. Please  reply
to mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and your response will be