IML: IML FEELING SAFE

The sense that the" HEAVY WEIGHT", has some merit durring a crash is true howerver, I think the most important safety accessory added, was the shoulder belt.Every time I drive my 77 Dodge Van, I have some reservations as to how safe I really am. Since this vehicle only has Lap Belts, I can't help but visualize a mouth full of steering wheel for me, and a face full of dash for my passenger. No question, I feel safer in ANYTHING with shoulder belts.Ya'll have a nice day, Dave

From: "Frederick Joslin" <fljoslin@xxxxxxxx>
I had a 1995 Suburban which weighed in at just over 6000 lbs and was built like the proverbial brick out house. I certainly did feel safe in this vehicle with my family.
Time move on and I wanted to get something with better fuel efficiency. After much research I purchased a 2006 Honda Odyssey. This vehicle has front and rear crumple zones and is designed for the engine to submarine the passenger compartment in a head on crash. It also has a hardened steel frame around the passengers with front air bags, front side air bags, complete side curtain airbags, a roll over sensor, three point seat belts at all 8 positions and weights in at over 4500 lbs. The vehicle has traction control, vehicle stability control tremendous acceleration, tremendous braking and is supposed to handle similar to a 7 series BMW.   The best "survivability" comes in vehicles which handle, accelerate and stop well, have the  best safety features and also have the most heft.

I agree that in general you are safer in a heavier vehicle, assuming that you are strapped in, than in a lighter vehicle. I certainly am aware that when I drive my 69 LeBaron that there is a lot of steel in front of me and behind me. I have a friend in Canada who was rear ended at a stop light at high speed in an early 60s 4 door Chrysler Windsor. He said that the car was crumpled all the way to the front seat, but he and the passenger walked away.

However, the future is in lighter vehicles so let us hope that they continue to be designed safer and everyone preach safe driving. The best accident is the one you were not in.