Re: IML: 1966 Brake Drum Style

From: "david munson" <davidmunson30@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: 1966 Brake Drum Style
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:22:43 +0000

Whilst I notice the discussion on brake drums , can I please ask if any of you have come across the

situation I had when I replaced my brake linings on the rear brakes of my 66 Crown coupe.

Where the linings fixed to the backing plate they had an elongated hole not the usual round one

that I had come to expect on all my cars English or American . I bought new linings from Kanter in

New Jersey and they arrived and looked fine, just like my 63 Convertibles in fact identical .

I thought at first the elongated holes had some how worn that way although I had never seen it

before so preceeded to fit the new linings after fighting with that little spring and washer thing that

always flies off into the unknown ! even with the right tool I found that whatever I did the drum

would not go back on !!!!!!!! The elongated holes where NOT WORN but needed . I contacted

Kanters and they said yes that they did indeed have those sort of linings but they had sent the right ones for my car and that it must have had an axle change ! now my car is a low mileage unrestored vehicle and shows NO sign of that sort of damage or work . Kanters also could or would not tell me what the elongated hole linings were actually for !!!!!! very strange but as I am in England UK sending back stuff is not cost effective at all . Before and after this Kanters has always been fine for me . Am I alone in this elongated hole thing ???????????????.

David Munson  55 63 and 66 Imperials