Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 5:43 PM
Subject: RE: IML: Am I getting screwed?

Meg,

Basically, me too! I had one experience with Midas, and they utterly screwed up simple work. I will never, ever let Midas touch anything I own.

I let that slide because I didn't know what other actions I could take, other than maybe a brick through their windows, which I'm not recommending to you.

A few years later, a young Navy officer working for me came to me for advice regarding a JEEP he had worked on at a nearby shop. They told him he needed a new engine, charged him about $1000 for some mystery diagnostic work they'd already done, and wouldn't let him have the JEEP back. I don't remember more details, but it was simply extortion. A friend and I looked over the JEEP in the shop in question, could see clearly that there were shady dealings and poor work. We suggested to the young LT that he give the shop a chance to refund his money, or go to small claims court. After a couple of days, the shop folded, refunded his money, and let him have his JEEP. My friend put a crank sensor in it, and it was fine.

So, armed with a wealth of information from emails, and the simple fact that you indeed received poor work at a hideous price, you might suggest to MIDAS that they can refund the money, or you'll take other action.

Good luck.  Don't let them do anything else to the car.

Michael