Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2007 6:47 AM
Subject: IML: K. T. Keller Era Musings...

I realize that few members here have the 49-54 Imperials, but I would like to call to your attention a recent addition to the 1953 Imperials By Year section of our site. Elijah Scott recently added a chapter, in a Postwar Collectibles book that I provided, regarding Cardinal Cushman's '53 Limousine. Interesting reading, and note a couple of added features for the Cardinal. Also, the video of Roger Irland's '54 Custom Sedan is excellent, and I recommend it. Of course, go to the 1954 section here.

As a '53 Custom Sedan owner, I will admit to a little bias, but here is how I rate the '53 vs the rather similar '54.

Advantage '54:

1. The grille.

2. 235 HP (vs 180 for the '53).

3. Better chance of getting A/C (still slim, though).

4. You always got Powerflite.

Advantage '53

1. No chrome trim on the front fenders (cleaner look).

2. Wood trim around the interior doorhandles, vs engine turned look (both are nice).

3. Instrument panel; single pod for '49-'53, with all gauges. '54 has "idiot" lights for that year, and a different, less integrated design.

A wash on...

1. Extra chrome trim on lip of hood.

2. Clear rear window on '54 vs two bars on '53.

3. Bumper guards.

4. Taillight design.

I like 'em both, and think that Virgil Exner did a fine job of facelifting the basic '49 design. This gave him breathing room for the '55 Chrysler line.

Currell

1953 Custom Imperial, with Powerflite