Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: IML: rear end noise

Thx all,

Dick, this only has 10k miles on itbefore it was rebuilt with a noise complaint by the previous owner. I've only had the car running for about 300 miles. I wonder if I should drain the rear end and fill it with this special fluid? My manual says to do this and drive at least 100 miles to see if the noise goes away. I wonder if this would make a difference and whether the "mechanic" might of filled the rear end with 90 w gear lube?
Where can I get this special fluid?

Thx,

Chris
67 Imperial
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dick Benjamin" <DickB@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:47 AM

This symptom is indicative of a worn pinion bearing .

Sure grip rear axles do require special lubricant, it is not normal rear axle lubricant. However, I doubt the small amount you added would contribute to a pinion bearing problem. If the grease level was really low, however, you could have starved the bearing for oil. If the "top up" took less than a pint or so, I don't think that would have caused the problem.

You need to take the car to a differential expert and have it evaluated.

Dick Benjamin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Strohmeyer" <chrisstroh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:23 AM
Subject: IML: rear end noise

Hi all,
My sure grip rear end is moaning/whirring at above 30mph. If I lift my foot slightly off the pedal it goes away completely. After looking over 40 years of receipts I discovered 10 years ago and 10k miles ago the rear end was completely rebuilt. I read that there's a "special oil for sure grips". Isn't this just 90w gear oil? It was a little low so I topped it up but no change.

Any ideas as to what this may be. I'm going to contact the former owner to see if rebuilding it actually made the noise go away.

Thx,
Chris
67 Imperial Convertible