Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Towing travel trailer with 1968 Crown Convertible...

Does anyone know if the max allowable trailer weight is different for a
convertible vs a hardtop? If it is not, I would say that Javier should be
able to do what he proposes. I have a '65 4 door Imperial that I use to pull
a 26 foot, 5000# (loaded weight) Airstream trailer. In the 60's and 70's my
family towed this same trailer with various mopars from the 60's and 70's.
Never with an Imperial, but usually one of the lesser Newports or an
occasional New Yorker. They were all up to the job, but I don't know enough
about them to say that the frame is the same on these different cars, nor do
I know how throwing a convertable into the mix changes things. If you tow
with this car you will want to add the towing package components, usually
things such as a tranny cooler and a larger cooling fan, perhaps add helper
springs for the rear of the car. And yes, you want a class 3 (weight
distributing) hitch. Towing, especially through the mountains will put a
great deal of stress on the tow vehicle. You might wish to consider a rear
end gear ratio change to help through the mountain passes. The weight of
your trailer when travelling will probably be close to 4500#...keep that in
mind.

Scott Scheuermann
1965 Crown
1960 Airstream