Re: IML: rear axle problems

Well after reading thru this thread, it does appear that the culprit is in the differential. If I am correct in what I read, youre here in the Northwest. Between Dean Transmission, Pat Blais and Randys Ring and Pinion in the Seattle area you should be able to find any and every part you might need.

In 1989 when I was doing the chassis and suspension work on my 62 I pulled the axles and replaced the axle bearings and had the differential out at the same time since I really didnt want to go thru the axle pulling chore again any time soon. Had no trouble with the diff, and the rear axle bearings and seals got replaced because I figured if it went 27 years on the first set ( which still seemed perfectly serviceable ) if I got another 27 on the second set it would be someone elses problem on the third time around.

A year or so later I bit the bullet and swapped a sure grip unit into the Charger , and after buying the pinion bearings and the center bearings and all the small parts and a new set of sure grip clutches AND the tooling which I will probably never need to use again, I would definetly recommend just buying an exchange unit. I dont work for them but Randys Ring and Pinion would be the source Id go with, they can handle the race car types as well as the pass car stuff equally well and they can sell you one outright with yours as a core.

Good luck

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe