IML: Chris' Rear end whine

Chris- I have the exact opposite situation with a Jensen GT rear end. Since a Deer crash and long skid at 65mph- the rear end hdeveloped a'click' and a whine- but when I take my foot off the gas- on acceleration or in steady cruise- no whine.

here's what's important- I agree that you will be fine for thousands of miles.  Here's what I did. I disassembled the rear completely. Had several rear end experts examine the parts- and the fit of the spider gears- as well as the ring & pinion.

There were no cracks, no chiopped gear teeth, no sign of 'abnormal' or one sided wear on the ring or pinion-- or the spider gears. Yet when I placed one of the spider gears in-(one an axle shaft inserts into) I had a 'click'.  I was told that since under load the gears ride 'outward'- against the thrust washers on the seats ofthe axle spider gears- the spacing increases and the 'click' goes away- leaving only a whine on deceleration.

The conclusion was that  over the life of the car there was some 'even wear' and under certain 'pressures' or in my case 'lack of pressures'-- I get the whine.  Having edamined the gears themselves and knowing the thrust washer spaces are as good as one can get--the rear will last just fine.  n this case, I'll just turn up the radio--knowing I am safe.

After rebuilding the engine last winter, we drove the car in Illinois for a meet. After the deer crashed us- I had all sorts of driveline issues, split front suspension bushings- radiator damage- Nopw all fixed.

So- in your case- the pressure on the ring & pinion is probably the source of yuour whine. This means that 'probably' the ring & pinion thrust washers maybe  'a hair' too tight- and when the rear heats up- you have exceeded the 'allowable' play spec.  In any case- I would do this:

Drain the rear- add a higher viscsity fluid and additive- and see if that quiets it down. If not- don't sweat it- you will know you have clean fluid- no metal dust wearing (liquid sandpaper).

One thing- jack up the rear- and turn each wheel (axle) and listen carefully for any noises or resistances. Then spin the driveshaft in Neutral- see if any play?  Any pinion seal weep?  Maybe fluid got low before rebuild- causing the wear.

Sherman D. Tafel

Let us know what you find!