Re: IML: 73 440 Timing Chain

When I bought my '67 in 1989, the first thing I did was tune it up to get it
ready for California's Smog Check, still required on cars of that vintage.
Five of the eight plugs had been fitted with anti-foulers, and the whole
premise bothered me, like seeing five band-aids on someone.

I put in fresh plugs - Champions like it came with - and found myself
replacing fouled plugs quite frequently, even though it passed Smog within a
week of my tuneup. It also idled poorly, ran hot up hills and pinged a lot.

Then an old-timer mechanic (who also had a '67 Imperial) said "never use
Champions. I only use Autolites." And so I tried them. I will use nothing
else in all my vintage Mopars, of which I have four (and long-timers on this
list have seen me on this soapbox before). They cured the pinging, the hot
running and the fouling. I'd recommend you try them first if you're not
already running Autolites.

I can see no reason to undergo an entire engine rebuild for two minor issues
like this. Replace the rear main seal if its gets annoyingly bad (it's not
cheap, so a pan or cardboard box on the garage floor might be a more
practical solution for quite a while) and try the new plugs. A timing chain
should last far more than 101,000 miles.

Just my $0.02, but from personal experience!

Chris in LA
67 Crown (440 V8)
78 NYB Salon (400 V8)
72 Dodge Charger SE (318 V8)