From: tdkd99@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 7:26 PM
Subject: IML: 73 440 Timing Chain

List,

I am debating whether to have the timing chain and
sprockets replaced on my 73 440 with 101,000 miles, or
rebuild the entire engine. I am oil fouling the number
6 plug causing an annoying miss and I have a slight
leak in the rear main oil seal. When I had the valve
covers off, the engine appeared to have had spotty oil
changes over the years judging by the amount of sludge
on the heads. The prevous owner had the valve seals
replaced a number of years ago, but, not the timing
chain. I get a pretty big puff of blue to white smoke
at start up.

I can't afford the whole rebuild job until next year
and I would like to drive the car occasionally in the
mean time. My question is: How much more $$$ will it
add to the overhaul if the engine jumps time between
now and then? According to the archives, there was
much discussion over whether or not the 440 was an
interference engine. (I think it is).

Also, has anyone ever used those spark plug non
foulers that attach to your spark plugs on a 440
before? Did they work?

Thanks,

Tim Durrer
73 LeBaron Blue Sky