Re: IML: cold weather/leaking brakes-67

I'd like to make a recommendation for Valvoline
Semi-Synthetic Dot 4 brake fluid.  It comes in a brown
bottle, a quart goes for about $8.  A little priceier
than your standard Dot 3 stuff, but offers much higher
boiling point, plus a reduced tendency to absorb water
than standard brake fluid.  And unlike DOT 5, you
don't need to flush the whole brake system to use it.

I use it in every one of my cars, and have had zero
leaks.

--- randalpark@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Using DOT 5 brake fluid instead of the others will
> also prevent this
> trouble. DOT 5 doesn't mix with other fluids so the
> entire system must
> be flushed first.
>
> Paul W.

--Mike Pittinaro

'To Engineer' was never meant to signify poking around with a mouse on a Nintendo-on-steroids computer system.

'It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars'
-- Garrison Keillor