Re: IML: Chrysler Imperial Newport (was: Gesswein Motors)

Re: IML: Chrysler Imperial Newport (was: Gesswein Motors)

Newport was what Chrysler called its two-door hardtop bodystyle in 1955,
including the Imperial line.

For 1956, they must have realized that since Imperial was now its own marque
(as of 1955) it should have its own nomenclature for the two-door and new
(midyear) four-door hardtops, so they renamed the Imperial hardtop
bodystyles Southampton, which stuck around through 1963. After that, they
went back to the generic term hardtop.

By the way, Southampton is one word, with one H!

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon