Re: IML: 56 Ignition Problem

Check the voltage with the points closed. With the points open no current is flowing through the coil and therefore there will be 12 volts to the coil and points regardless of how much resistance the ballast has. The voltage drop will only take place while current is flowing through the resistor. With the points closed check the voltage at the positive terminal of the coil to see what the actual voltage drop is.

A bad condenser would also cause a weak spark and excessive arcing on the points, drastically reducing their life.

Brad