Speaking of strange holes in 1960 imperials....I have had mine down to bare metal as well and have been crawling around in the trunk and wondering what the big hole to the left of center in the middle of the trunk floor is meant to be for? Mine was plugged up with a factory rubber plug. The hole is about 3 inches diameter in size to the left of the gas tank but it's got me stumped as to what option it might be for. All I can think of is that it was a rare Imperial option of an 'emergency breath hole' for unfortunate Imperial owners who find themselves captive in the trunk of their own car? But as yet I have found no reference to this in the owners manual. Any takers on this one?

Luke
60 Le Baron

On 5/02/2007, at 3:56 AM, Tom Scott wrote:

Paul,
My 60 Crown has the CROWN lettering below the Imperial script and the Crown emblem above the script. There is no crown on the tail light pods. I recently had this car down to bare metal and the only holes in the front fenders are where I just described. There is no evidence of there ever being a hole for the crown emblem in the rear tail light pods and no evidence the car ever had any body work.
It is a '92' VIN car so I am sure it's a Crown.
One of life's little mysteries I guess. Anyone ever seen another one with the emblems in these locations?
Tom
60 Crown 4dr Southamptom

----- Original Message ----- From: <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 6:47 PM
Subject: IML: 1960 Two Door Southampton w/No Other Designations

Your '60 must be a Custom Two Door Southampton.

The Crown model says CROWN in gold letters over the signature on each front fender. There is also a gold crown mounted on each rear quarter close to the tail light I have seen some Crown models without these distinctions, but it was because the fenders were replaced, or the letters/ornaments removed and the holes filled.

There were no LeBaron Two Door Southamptons.

All 1960 Imperial Customs had the same upholstery pattern. If the original cloth was covered in crowns, w/ "leather grain" vinyl bolsters, the car is a Custom. That is unless someone bought the seats out of a Custom and put them in a different model. I've seen Customs with Crown interiors, LeBarons with Custom interiors, Crowns with Custom interiors, but they didn't come that way.

Other than the designations, the biggest difference between 1960 Customs and Crowns is the interior, and also the list of standard equipment/options. LeBarons are well labeled, and easy to distinguish.

Paul W.