Re: IML: 66LeBaron-..IT's ALIVE!...sort of

Re: IML: 66LeBaron-..IT's ALIVE!...sort of

Hi dick...thanks for the info as that is the simplest way (that I can think of) to determine if the gauge itself is causing part or all of the problem. I am going to move the wires near the ballast resistor again and then try the ignition switch again; then, remove (again) the firewall connector and replace it to see if THEN the ignition will work; next is to do just what you suggest.....take the two large wires (RED & BLACK that are connected to the Ammeter and put them together and see what happens next!
thanks again!!...hopefully, we'll get together and I'll meet 'Rich' in the very near future!!!!
Dan

---- Dick Benjamin <DickB@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
Dan, just to make sure you understand, the ammeter performs TWO functions:

One, it gives you an indication of how much current is flowing through it,
and
Two, it provides a path for power to all the items in the car that are wired
to the output side of the ammeter.

The reason I mention this is: The fact that the ammeter is stuck on "charge"
is not important, other than the loss of the indication function.  It does
not affect the operation of the car in any way, so long as the continuity
through the ammeter terminals is OK.

The way to eliminate the ammeter from further concern is to move one or the
other of the #10 wires so that they share the same post on the ammeter -
this way you KNOW there is continuity there, and you can proceed to look
elsewhere for your gremlins.  You will disable the ammeter indication
function, but that is already gone anyway.

Dick