Re: IML: Fuselage cars

--- Mark  Jefferson <imperialist67@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You have to drive them (or take a long ride in one) to
really appreciate them.......

---

It's interesting that you say that.  My first one,
Imperial Margarinem, was offered to me for a pittance.

I had never seen one in person, and went to see it
with the intent of perhaps scooping it up and flipping
it for some $$ to fund the 1960 project.

I owned it mentally as soon as I drove it a block -
story is here:

http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1973/Wills/index.htm

-and the rest is history.

The cars ride poorly on worn shocks, undulating and
confirming one's worst fears about their boat-like
proportions, but the car rode so well that I decided
to keep it on the spot and still have it.

Aside from a valve cover that refuses to seal despite
four tries, I have since aquired 2 72's and a 70.  The
70 has more apparent power, and the flat hood looks
meaner and somehow different than the 72/73 cars, but
they're "better" than all the rest, and I grudgingly
include the vaunted 196o in that, despite my passion
for the LeBarons of that year.

The really amazing thing is the subtle differences
between 71 and 72.  Same essential shape, yet so
different.  Probably just me, but the energy spent on
the design of these cars continues to impress, and I
feel strongly that the styling is on par with the
Exner stuff.  No fins to slap you in the face, but
equal sophistication that grows on you as you become
more familiar with the car.

Remember that 1973 was the L O N G E S T postwar
production car ever that wasn't some sort of Formal
Car variant at 235.3 inches long due to the federally
mandated bumperettes.  Amaze and confound your
Cadillac adherents with that one.  Should be good for
at least one drink at the bar under the right
circumstances.

Kenyon Wills