Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 73 440

I can't say for sure, but I do know that at 101,000 miles, you should be thinking about replacing the timing set on that engine. The teeth stripped off mine at almost exactly 99,900 miles.

I do not believe that the engine becomes damaged should the timing set fail, but at that mileage, I'd rather do it and know its good. It is easy to check for looseness simply by watching the time it takes for the rotor in the distributor to move when cranking the engine. If its loose, I would go ahead and replace it before it leaves you sitting.

Paul W.