From: therichardsonfamily@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: colling system pressure?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:35:23 +0000

Here's a question for Dave, but others may have some insight as well.

My '67, 440 cid (Imperial engine) has newly
replaced freeze plugs, and a lot of casting
sand and junk in the cooling system. Prior to
doing a closed system flushing with "Cascade",
I want to get most of the garbage out using a
garden hose on the lower radiator hose, thereby
avoiding the redone radiator.

We all know 15-18 psi is what a radiator cap
opens at. However, my garden hose may be as
high as 25 to 30+ psi. Can the head gaskets,
etc. and inside of the engine take that kind of
pressure? Does anyone know what pressure
exists inside the block? Or would I be wiser
(with this old , tired engine) to just throw an
old radiator on and do a closed system flush?
Any other drawbacks to my open system flush?

Thanks for any input.

Dan Richardson
300L Family Heirloom