Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:35 PM
Subject: IML: colling system pressure?

Here's a question for Dave, but others may have some insight as well.

My '67, 440 cid (Imperial engine) has newly replaced freeze plugs, and a lot of casting sand and junk in the cooling system. Prior to doing a closed system flushing with "Cascade", I want to get most of the garbage out using a garden hose on the lower radiator hose, thereby avoiding the redone radiator.

We all know 15-18 psi is what a radiator cap opens at. However, my garden hose may be as high as 25 to 30+ psi. Can the head gaskets, etc. and inside of the engine take that kind of pressure? Does anyone know what pressure exists inside the block? Or would I be wiser (with this old , tired engine) to just throw an old radiator on and do a closed system flush? Any other drawbacks to my open system flush?

Thanks for any input.

Dan Richardson
300L Family Heirloom