From: dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 7:51 PM
Subject: Re: IML: ATF vs. Marvel

Hi All....this question is regarding the adding of ATF to a motor OR adding Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). I remember before I was even driving, my Dad would add MMO to the motor to keep it running 'quieter'. If I recall correctly, several IMl'rs have also suggested adding some MMO when doing an oil change. What is the real PURPOSE of the MMO or the ATF? ...is it to help clean out the motor....if so, draining it after a few hundred miles or a long, hard trip is probably a
good idea, but how often is this a good thing to do?
It was suggested to add some ATF in order to 'clean out' or ;loosen up' any
stuck components. Could the same thing be done using MMO?...
...Now, having said this I also remember hearing that sometimes 'cleaning out' the motor is NOT the best thing to do, especially if its a HIGH MILAGE motor since you could possibly wind up with a motor that is a LOT noiser than it was
to begin with!
Has anyone had first-hand experience with using MMO or ATF in the engine and
what was the result???
I realize that neither is a real 'fix it' for a engine that has real problems, but does either of these (MMO or ATF) do the same thing? or are they for
different symptoms?
Thanks all!
Dan Melnik