Re: IML: '56 Ignition Problem: Pertronix = Success

Re: IML: '56 Ignition Problem: Pertronix = Success

I have rebuilt my 53's dual point distributor entirely and I love it, runs like a top, starts just fine. I think dual point set ups get a lot of bad rap, mostly because people really don't understand them. I did consider the solid state replacement, I did that on a 78 Shovelhead Harley, and that was a good upgrade, it was a Kick start, and improved starting and running a whole lot. But the Imperial is just fine with the original dual point distributor.
Anyway, enjoy your ride!

Jeff Cantor wrote:
For those of you who were following my ignition problems over the last several weeks, I wanted to provide an update.

After much debate and with the significant advice provided here, I elected to replace the original dual point setup with the Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition. In addition, to avoid any other problems, I had the mechanical portion of the distributor rebuilt by a local shop. They also installed the Pertronix module since they had everything apart but it certainly appears to be a very easy drop in. This morning I had the chance to reinstall the distributor and complete the wiring. Then the moment of truth - the car started on the first try even faster than my '97 LHS! The engine hasn't run this smoothly since 51 years ago (to the day) when it rolled of the assembly line and it remains responsive at any engine speed and load combination I could safely throw at it.

So for anyone struggling with drivability issues and original factory points setups - especially the dual point distributors - I would highly recommend converting to electronic ignition. The only exception would be if you have a car that you enter in contours level shows where the judges are likely to notice the one extra wire coming out of the distributor or pull the cap looking for the original points.

Jeff
'56 Sedan
Trenton, NJ