Re: IML: The best weather/rubber softening compound available???

Re: IML: The best weather/rubber softening compound available???

There are two products I have used. One, I've been using since I
started detailing cars at age 12 some 30 years ago. The product is (1)
L.O.C. by Amway. It's a mild, low sudsing cleaner that is great on all
vinyl (and leather) upholstery, dash pads, door panels, tires, tops,
weather seals, etc. It's not a strong cleaner, therefor, it works best
when used on a regular basis. I'm not sure what the contents are but
was told it contained coca oil or butter. Must be true -- it smells a
little like suntan lotion. It works (for me anyway) great. It
conditions the rubber and vinyl. It leaves rubber weather seals soft
and the rich black color it was when new. (2) The other product is 303
Aerospace Protectant. I learned about this product from a friend of
mine who is an avid car collector and is very well read on antique
automobiles. He took some rather stiff weather seal off one of his cars
and actually soaked it in 303. After a day or two it came out soft and
pliable as the day the car was first assembled. This product looks like
AmorAll but is water based and contains NO silicon. You can use it in
the same manner as ArmorAll. It works well on tires, rubber trim, vinyl
tops, etc., and doesn't leave a super shinny surface. It does leave
some sheen which fades away after a short time. It is an excellent UV
protector. It must be -- a friend of mine uses it on the sails of his
boat for that very purpose. I've never seen it in an auto parts store.
I buy it at Boater's World and I've seen it at other boating supply
stores. Hope this helps.

Phil Hansley
'66 Imperial Crown 4DHT

--- "Bigdog1(P. Juliano Jr.) list member" <bigdog1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>