RE: IML: triple black 72s

Chrysler Historic Collections has many of the records for production option "take rates", including colors. You could what percent of Imperials in a given  year had black paint, black tops, ATC, etc. as a % of total production. This was used to determine popularity for future models, and for inventory order.
Many years of these records are intact, I found the paint color rates on my 65 300 from Chrysler Historic. Can't comment on availability for '72.
What they cannot tell is how many of a vehicle had combinations, i.e., black paint/top/interior. Some of the muscle car guys have figured this out for Challenger, et al, but not so for the big cars.
You might try contacting Chrysler Historic, mail only, they do not have staff for calls.
Mark

Pete Engel <peter.engel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
First of all, I don't think that anyone can tell you with authority which
color COMBINATION was the most popular. That information is lost to the
sands of time since the records, if Chrysler did have them, were purged
long, long ago.

Having just said that, I do know that Chrysler included past year PAINT
color popularity in advance sales literature meant for dealer eyes only.
Presumably this was to help them order cars for inventory, car's that would
sell quickly since they were a popular color.

I have a dealer color and trim album for the 1973 model year and it has a
supplement showing the equipment installation rates and paint color
preferences for the 1972 model year Plymouths.

For Valiants and Dusters, black was the least popular at only 1.6%
Black was a little more popular on Barracuda models: 4.2%
Only 1.9% of Satellites were black.
Finally, black was again the least popular color for Fury models: 1.0%

Now I realize that black is a more popular color on luxury cars but for
someone to say that triple black was THE most popular combo for a 72
Imperial seems like a stretch. Frankly, I think it's ridiculous.

Greens and golds were very popular in the early 70s so my money is on one of
those shades for the top seller. In 25+ years of Imperial spotting I've
only seen a handful of triple black fuselage era Imperials.

Hopefully and IML member owns a 73 Chrysler and Imperial dealer album with
the supplement and he can provide the paint color info. Hint hint.

Pete in PA