Re: IML: 1972 Imperial GT Coupe - wheels

Re: IML: 1972 Imperial GT Coupe - wheels

One thing to keep in mind. The front spindle has an inner and an outer beasring in the hub. The inner (big) bearing is designed to carry most of the weight, the smaller outer bearing is just for alignment. When you increase tyre/wheel width, you change that off-set, and may wear the outer bearing out quicker.

---- Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
Far as I can tell, 275 or 285 17r45 will fit - I
borrowed a 275 from the tire place and it had plenty
of room - without the fender skirts.

The sway bars will reduce roll, and hence lower
exposure to rubbing tightly spaced tires on the inside
edge, allowing greater inset, or so the thinking goes.

Having the wheels fabricated with custom offset also
allows one to tuck additional width into previously
un-usable space.

We'll see.  I have not done the final measurements,
but there are 11+ inches of room up in the wheel wells
in back.

May have to go smaller width in the front due to
steering linkage concerns, but don't want to.

-Kenyon

Kenyon Wills