Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Electroluminescent Dash Lighting

If the lights don't work, there are other things that go wrong than that "box". A short in one lamp will keep the whole system from lighting up. An open circuit in one lamp will allow the others to light even while that one does not. Though rare, I have heard of the head light switch causing trouble.

Usually, if the "box" goes bad, the lights will come on initially, and then slowly/quickly dim out. A shorted lamp will keep them from coming on at all, unless the short is one of the meter needles. Yes, they are individual lamps themselves. Sometimes when one of them goes bad, the lights will come on until the needle moves to a certain spot, then all the lights will go out. The lamps have to be tested one at a time to find a short, with the system ON. All the wires are white and the connectors are red.

If you plan to keep this car, you should read the FSM, collect a few spare parts, obtain a supply of conductive glue, and have a spare "known to be good" transformer on hand at all times. It will greatly simplify trouble shooting and repair if you do.

Paul W.