RE: IML: 1960 Imperial Power Steering Hoses

RE: IML: 1960 Imperial Power Steering Hoses

The "reducer" is probably a reference to the flow restriction orifice that
is about 1 foot from the power steering box in the pressure hose.  The
purpose of this orifice is to reduce the moaning noise that will otherwise
be an irritation when you drive the car.  Some folks don't seem to notice
the noise - it drives me nuts!

The original hoses have a metal fitting which includes the flow restriction
orifice and the hose outside diameter drops at this point also.  The flow
restriction orifice is 0.070" on the ones I have examined - a good hose shop
should be able to reproduce this.

I did find that CarQuest still stocked the pressure hoses for Imperials of
the mid 60s and later - last time I needed one about 2 years ago.  NAPA did
not have them anymore, nor did AutoZone.  If you find them, buy a spare or
two!

Dick Benjamin