IML: Oriflow Shock Absorbers

I've been looking at the recently available film comparing 1957 GM and Chrysler products.

There seems to be a great difference in rebound recovery between Imperial and Cadillac. The improved ride control is ascribed to both "Torsion Air Ride", and "Oriflow" shocks.

A few years ago, after we  brought "Babe" to a new home in Kansas City, I remember looking into the availability of Oriflow shocks. Every one just laughed. There were none available, period.

Now, after viewing the film, I'm wondering if anyone has a construction schematic of these shocks. I've always assumed that they utilized a tapered pin which changed the cross section of the orifice depending on pin depth. I'd love to see the inside of one.

Perhaps the torsion bar spring rate affects rebound as much as the shocks.

Anyone have a theory as to the superior ride control?

Gary Kitterman
'56 C-73 "Babe"