Re: IML: oil pressure

It is a mechanical gauge. Quality I do not know. The original gauge is still working and seems to follow although with a time delay. Yeah it may be looser than I think.

Robin Giesbrecht

From: "Steve B." <Imperial59@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: oil pressure
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:16:19 -0400

Wondering if anyone has ideas on why the oil pressure on my 1972 440
Imperial would fluctuate from 10 psi at idle to 40 psi at highway speeds
with a surge in pressure of 10 psi when throttle is lifted. Engine is
rebuilt with all new crank bearings and cam bearings and oil pump. Using
after market oil pressure gauge. I put a supposedly hi pressure oil
pressure relief spring in also(black) but am wondering about it's quality.
Engine runs great and no rattles or strange noises.

What kind of gauge are you using? Many of those aftermarket things are not of the highest quality. If it isn't a mechanical gauge I would first connect a mechanical gauge and see what the pressure really is.

A good rule of thumb is 10psi per 1k rpm but I would expect a newly rebuilt engine to be higher than that. Perhaps you have a little more clearance in some of the bearings than you should? You might want to try a high volume oil pump to see if it helps with the problem.

             Steve B.