IML: new exhaust system & theory

Here is one for the OEM supporters, Rodger & Dave:

I now have my cooling system flushed out (thanks Dave) and the old '67 Imp motor (required content) runs fine in my 300L.  Time to do some driving, and the two "Cherry Bombs" hanging from the head pipes need to go in the dumpster.

Recent discussions about low RPM torque loss, with lower backpressure, leads me to ask this question of the theorists.  With no intentions of 4000+ RPM, or racing, I would like that "muscle car" sound on this old L.  I seem to have only the left side (4 of them) of HP exhaust manifolds in the basement - the stock, log types will be just fine, right?  Also, I should leave the ID of the head pipes equal to the ID of the manifold exit, right?

Is it equally important to keep the same ID all the way to the tailpipes?  Or, is a bigger pipe after the muffler helping anything out?  like the tone? or performance?  Louder mufflers aren't going to hurt my low-end torque, are they?

Thanks in advance for the comments, I value your experience and advice immensley.

Dan Richardson
300L Family Heirloom