IML: Timken bearing availability.

I was just on the Autozone web site looking for more stuff for my 69 LeBaron.

It appears that Autozone sells Timken bearings. Someone was asking where to get Timken bearings. They list the outer rear axle bearings for $15/each. I just paid $50/each at a local bearing shop! Front inner and outer Timken wheel bearings are listed at Autozone at less than $10 each.

Also, I was going to rebuild my rear wheel cylinders, but took the easy way out (and probably better) and purchased two "new" units from Autozone. These were made (or whatever) in Italy and $16 each.

I used to buy lots of stuff at Autozone before the days of readily available internet buying. I moved to Spokane five years ago and Autozone was not here so my purchasing sources have varied. Now that Autozone is here and with their comprehensive on-line catalog and excellent prices I will probably shop there more.

Working on old cars is expensive enough without paying more than three times the price for parts than is necessary. Also you can order on-line and pick the items up at a store and not pay shipping and get them in two days!!!!!

I posted this because someone asked specifically about Timken bearings and I have new information and because I am ticked that I spent $70 more that I needed to on just TWO bearings.

I hope that this post does not offend anyone.

Fred Joslin