Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:40 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Stainless steel top a 60 imp

Are you sure about that?

I am about 90% certain that I have seen one or two in my life time, back in the '60s. One of them was a silver Crown Southampton Two Door with a red leather interior, so the silver paint could have fooled me. I was probably 10 years old and about 3 and a half feet tall

The other one was a Maroon Crown Two Door Southampton with a white leather interior. Also, when I was around 10, but I was riding my 26 inch bicycle around it. Add that to my meager height and I should have been able to see those panels pretty well. Even if the other car had painted panels, I have always believe this one to be the real McCoy. I think even at 10 if they were painted I would have spotted the difference

If they did make them, chances of finding a set now would be pretty slim. The ones that were installed on the cars at the factory were spot welded to the roof. I mean like 200 spot welds each! Removal without damage is practically impossible. A few cars could have had the installation at dealer level, which would mean that they would be most likely held down with the trim pieces. Even on the factory cars, this would have been sufficient considering how the cars are made.

Another fading memory, which may be something that could be cleared up in the 1960 sales brochure available on the OIC web site.

Paul W.