From: jsadowski@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Stainless steel top  a 60 imp

I'm certain they didn't make them for 2 doors. Also, there are no spot welds holding the panels to the roof. There is a lip on the edges of the panel that slide under the trim molding. There are also a few dabs of adhesive in the middle of them.

John
----- Original Message ----- From: <randalpark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:40 AM

Are you sure about that?

I am about 90% certain that I have seen one or two in my life time,
back > in the '60s. One of them was a silver Crown Southampton Two Door with a > red leather interior, so the silver paint could have fooled me. I was > probably 10 years old and about 3 and a half feet tall

The other one was a Maroon Crown Two Door Southampton with a white
leather > interior. Also, when I was around 10, but I was riding my 26 inch bicycle > around it. Add that to my meager height and I should have been able to see > those panels pretty well. Even if the other car had painted panels, I have > always believe this one to be the real McCoy. I think even at 10 if they > were painted I would have spotted the difference

If they did make them, chances of finding a set now would be pretty
slim. > The ones that were installed on the cars at the factory were spot welded > to the roof. I mean like 200 spot welds each! Removal without damage is > practically impossible. A few cars could have had the installation at > dealer level, which would mean that they would be most likely held down > with the trim pieces. Even on the factory cars, this would have been > sufficient considering how the cars are made.

Another fading memory, which may be something that could be cleared
up in > the 1960 sales brochure available on the OIC web site.

Paul W.