Re: IML: Hood Rust

The areas that are rusty are the ones that were not
treated and were covered by the spars, and thus likely
did not get paint like the rest of the surfaces.

You are not alone.

Use a hose to completely flush the area and get any
major flakes out and allow to dry well.

Invert hood so that the spars are facing up.

Pour a "large" pool of SEM RustSeal into the hood.  Or
a small one - whatever common sense indicates after
reading the PDF sheet on the link below.  The
instructions on the can are also a good thing to read.

Preferrably with more than one person, tilt the hood
so that the pool immerses the spars and penetrates the
interior areas as you tilt it in every direction.  Do
this in a space where you can drip onto dirt or
someplace where cleanup is not going to be an issue.
You can hose the stuff away, but don't let it dry or
you'll be sorry.

have a funnel in the bottle on the ground and pour
excess out of your hood back into the bottle.

You will also want to use this solution on any other
rusted areas, especially as your first step in the
prep for paint process.  It converts the rust.

-An incredible product.

Available at professional auto paint supply places.

http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=206

DONE.

-K