Re: IML: Hood Rust

David Dimitriou <macedonxx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm working the hood right now of my 62 restoration project. It has some light rust along the seams. After removing it I've discovered that it must have a fair amount of rust on the inside.
This is a common problem and is the result of 45 years of condensation on the underside of the hood sheetmetal.

A good solution involves several steps.  Remove the hood and use compressed air to blow out as much of the rust as you can.  You may want to tap the hood a good bit with a rubber mallet (don't dent it, obviously) to loosen up more of the rust.

Turn the hood upside down and fill the openings with a good rust killer such as RustMort or some of the Eastwood Corp. products.  Get a friend to help you slosh this around until you feel confident that it has worked its way into all of the nooks and crannies.  Turn the hood back over to drain out the remainder.  Some of these products also suggest you rinse with water, so check the instructions.

After the hood dries, use the same tactic to coat the inside of the hood with POR-15 or the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.

Following these steps will most likely make the hood last for another 45 years.

Good luck!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair - http://home.comcast.net/~imperial1971/

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!
http://home.comcast.net/~imperial1971/Bookshelf.html

My Collection of Imperials - http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/
1965 Imperial LeBaron
1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan