Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: IML: '55 hesitation

Roger I found the stone elements on e-bay . Give two days to go through my boxes and I will get you the part number.

In a message dated 03/29/07 11:41:30 Pacific Daylight Time, rdc2382@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Cleaning out my old e-mails, I came upon this one that is relative to my 55 Newport. I had to put on an inline fuel filter and remove the glass bowl filter with the stone element. That did the trick for me. I have tried to locate a new stone filter, but could not find one. Any suggestions on where one gets one, and possibly how can a stone element be cleaned?

Roger
55 Newport

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 11:43 AM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: IML: '55 hesitation

While all of this is absolutely true, if this were happening to my '55 Imperial, I would clean/replace the "stone fuel filter", remove the extra in line filter (as it could be actually restricting fuel flow), and replace the fuel pump and flex-line. This is all assuming that the car had been driven successfully before this happened and since any recent work had been done. If not, then I would also inspect & gap the duel ignition points.

All of these things should be done anyway. The problems with today's fuels that Dick has described have caused fuel pump diaphragms on my cars to prematurely go bad, with similar symptoms. The flex line is a likely culprit. I mention the ignition points since a problem there can lead to similar symptoms, and also, because while in the shop, the mechanic may leave the ignition on (without the engine running) for an extended period, while taking a phone call of a coffee break. This can lead to burned contacts, and a very damaged point set. This happened to me while my car was in the shop for a routine service. My car ran, but not quite correctly. It took months to figure out, but the solution was simple.

At least you have plenty of food for thought.

Paul W.