Re: IML:1960's 413 Cylinder Heads/ Newer Style vs Older Style

Re: IML:1960's 413 Cylinder Heads/ Newer Style vs Older Style

I have discovered a problem in replacing ONE of the heads on my 1960 Imperial. The replacement head seems to be for a later engine, and has towers for the rocker shaft cast into the head. The earlier design is made differently in this respect. We see no other differences in specifications for push rod length, valves, valve springs, etc.

I think that the replacement may also have more valve cover mounting holes, but the old valve cover with fewer holes seems to line up with what is needed to fasten down the valve cover. I was aware of this difference between old and new style big block heads, but the rocker shaft mounting towers was something I had not heard before.

Reviewing my various FSM's and pictures in the Engine Section, it appears that this change occurred in 1964. Has anyone here encountered this? Other than the actual rocker shaft, will the head fit and function the same as the old style on my engine?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help/advice!

Paul W.