IML: Fwd: 62 Oil Pan -Good News & A Mystery Gets Deeper!

IML: Fwd: 62 Oil Pan -Good News & A Mystery Gets Deeper!

See what's free at AOL.com.
--- Begin Message ---
Hi To All:  I Got Started Working on My 62 Imp This Last Weekend.  I Want to Let Everyone Know the Oil Pan Will Come Off With Out Pulling the Engine. Just Take Out the Lower Bolt/Studs Holding the Motor Mount  To the Frame And Lift the Front of the Engine About 2 Inches. I Comes Out Pretty Easy. But Be Careful If You Do It Like I Did! I Used a Floor Jack With a Short 2 X 4 to Lift Up on the Harmonic Balancer.
The Mystery of My (Rebuilt) Motor Deepens. When Working on My Engine Last Year I Noted I Had Unusual Brass Freeze Plugs. Now I Found the Oil Pick Up Tube Had Multiple Set of Pipe Wrench Marks Where It Had Been Taken Off and On. I Work at Trenton Engine And in the Late 60's I Was in Dept 88 V-8 Assembly Working Production. I Had the Job of Installing the Oil Pick-Up Pipes a Number Of Times. When You do Something Once Every 24 Seconds You Can Remember It Well. Anyway the Pipe Has the Original Tool Marks, Plus an Extra Set of Pipe Wrench Marks - Not of the Factory Type. So Now I Am Sure the Engine Got Rebuilt Some Time Early in It's Life. The Engine Has the Proper Stamped #,s on the Rods and Caps Showing the Cylinder Bore Positions. The Oil Pan Gasket Was Dry & Hard, Pretty Much Useless. The Oil Pan Had About 3/8 of a Inch of Semi-Hard Goo In It. The Rest of the Inside of the Lower End Looked Claen For Being 45 Years Old. Now On To Replacing the Good Old Heads With the Soft Valve Seats.
Happy Imperialing and Safe to All !
Dave Van Buren
Trenton Engine Plant
"Your Car, My Engine"