Re: IML: Fwd: 62 Oil Pan -Good News & A Mystery Gets Deeper!

Dave, you can install a rear seal on your back, without too much effort. The best seal to use is the FelPro 2947, 2 piece lip seal, you will also need to buy the old style rope seal kit to get the side seals for the seal bridge.You should also remove the trans dust cover to gain some finger room. Pulling the top part of the old rope seal will be the most difficult part of the operation.You will also need a helper to rotate the crank shaft, for removal, and installing the new seal.The most important thing, is to NOT scratch the seal surface on the crank. Lube the new seal with motor oil, and roll the new seal in.The FSM says to soak, or coat the side rail seals before installing, we soak the seals with a 50-50 mix of engine oil, and mineral spirits, for no more than a couple minutes. Longer then that, and the seal expands too much, and installation becomes impossible.We use a small dab of #2 permatex on the bottom of the seal bridge, to seal the metal to metal surface. ( NOT SI LICONE).Well this should give you an idea what you're headed for. Ya'll have a nice day, Dave.

From: David Dimitriou <macedonxx@xxxxxxxxx>
I'm bringing a '62 back to life from a long sleep. I haven't determined yet what all I'll need to do to the motor. It runs fairly well now that I have gotten the fuel system cleaned up. I'm assessing the leaks and it's pretty obvious the rear main seal will need replaced. This is my first 413. Can you you sneak a rear main seal in on one of these guys? My FSM only tells how to do it with the crankshaft removed.

Thanks,
Dave

See what's free at AOL.com.