RE: IML: Brake Light Switch on '56

--- Jeff Cantor <jcantor791@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kenyon,
>
> I don't think the switch was initially bad as the
> lights worked fine
> when I first completed the brake job - at least once
> I got the damn
> air bubble the was hiding behind the switch.
>
> Jeff
> '56 Sedan
> Trenton, NJ

Yes, I agree about "was working".  Looking at the
careful word choice in your reply: "not initially bad"
does not equal "still good now", so I think that
you're trying to leave your self a logic-escape-hatch
there.

Is there perhaps a way to test the switch with a
continuity tester?

Is there a way to run a jumper line from the battery
post into the terminals that plug into the switch or a
way to jump the two wires together to mimic the switch
being thrown?  This would isolate the switch from the
circuit and allow an attack on whichever proved
inoperative, narrowing things down? -Sorry, I missed
the first part of the thread and apologize if this is
redundant advice.

Since the switch is comparatively easy and inexpensive
part to replace, and is the most obvious thing that
could be causing this, that's where I'd start,
presuming that the wiring has not been shorted between
last brake light illumination and now.

Beats the hell out of doing a bunch of other more
complicated things, finding nothing, and coming back
to it - at least that's the path that my lazy bones
would take.

If it does turn out to be the switch after all of
this, you owe me a candy bar.  - Things are never that
easy, though.

-K